Scholarship/Bursary Opportunities for Grade 12 Students:
~ A REMINDER TO GRADUATES & PARENTS ~
It is the student's responsibility to research their own scholarship and bursary opportunities, including requests for all supporting documentation, such as transcripts (which must be requested in the Guidance Office), reference letters, essays, etc.
Guidance will post all scholarships and bursaries that come through our office;
however there is an abundance of other opportunities for post-secondary money both provincially and nationally.
Please see the links provided at the bottom of the page for more information.
When the local bursaries become available, they will be listed first.
The Loran Scholarship
Eligibility Criteria for High School Students:
- Be in your final year of uninterrupted full-time studies in high school.
- Present a minimum cumulative average of 85%.
- Hold Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status.
- Be at least 16 years of age by September 1st of the following year.
- SAERC can sponsor up to three students for this award. If you would like to be considered for sponsorship, please submit a current resume with cover letter, outlining why you would be a worthy candidate for the Loran Scholarship to Mrs. Matheson in the Guidance office no later than 9:00 am on Tuesday, October 6, 2020.
- If you are eligible to be sponsored by SAERC, you will be informed no later that Thursday, October 8, 2020, which will still give you a week to submit your application on-line (October 15).
- Anyone can apply, without being sponsored. The deadline for direct pool applications is October 22.
- Please research what this award entails and the expectations before you apply. You should make reference to these details in your cover letter.
For further information and to apply please visit: http://www.loranscholar.ca/
Deadline: October 15, 2020 (for sponsored applications), October 22nd, 2020 (for direct pool applications)
Horatio Alger Association Scholarship
The Horatio Alger Association of Canada provides $650,000 annually in need-based scholarship support for deserving students in all Canadian provinces and territories.
Scholarships of up to $10,000 are awarded to full-time students in their terminal year of high school with financial need (family income under $65,000) who have demonstrated integrity and perseverance in overcoming adversity, a commitment to pursue a post-secondary education, a desire to contribute to society, and a good academic record (65+ Average). For Further information including application please visit: https://www.horatioalger.ca/en/scholarships/
Deadline: October 26th, 2020
TD Scholarships for Community Leadership
TD Scholarships are open to students across Canada who:
- Have demonstrated community leadership
- Are in the final year of high school (outside Quebec) or CEGEP (in Quebec)
- Have a minimum overall grade average of 75% in their most recently completed school year
For more information and to apply, click here.
Deadline: November13, 2020
RBC Future Launch Scholarship
The RBC Future Launch Scholarship will be awarded to those who show passion and a clear vision for their future.
- For youth enrolled part time in school or not in school at all
- Grades and transcripts are not required
- Over 400 scholarships available throughout 2020
The $1,500 scholarship can be used for many different things, including:
- Short-term courses
- Necessary equipment or books etc,
For further information, including the application, please click HERE
NOVA SCOTIA STUDENT ASSISTANCE (Student Loans)
The application for Nova Scotia Student Assistance goes live in May of each year
To apply online and for info about student loans:
Nova Scotia's leading source for finding scholarship money:
( NEW ) Community Foundation Of Nova Scotia ( Various Scholarships and Bursaries)
(NEW) Canada's free scholarship matching services for financial assistance:
Canada's scholarship website for scholarships, bursaries and grants. Also has information about student loans, applications, and budget planning.
Government of Canada Aboriginal Bursaries Search Tool:
(Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada have information on over 750 bursaries)
Aboriginal students are encouraged to visit their website: www.aandc.gc.ca/bursaries